Shipwreck

the wind turns in exile

windswept hair exhales

a murmur-less ocean kneels

and bows its head

revealing the shipwreck

left behind

submerged below the cool surface

reaching out to me

a veneer of peace from my secluded beach

but the screaming gulls tell the truth

i look down at my barnacled feet

and trails of blue bottles

littering the path behind me

the transparency of stranded jellyfish

drowned ships cannot be floated

shipwrecks belong underwater

the best they can offer is exploration

© 2013-2014 B.G. Bowers, a poem from Death and Life  available now in PAPERBACK OR KINDLE

Death and Life now available on Amazon
Death and Life available now

14 thoughts on “Shipwreck

1. All Out Of Excuses March 28, 2014 / 10:05 pm

I loved this line “i look down at my barnacled feet”, well done, good find on that illustration as well.

• bgbowers March 29, 2014 / 6:32 am

Thank you :-) I also love that line & the image is great – it’s also Creative Commons, which is even better :-)

2. Oloriel March 28, 2014 / 10:34 pm

Touching words and message Bianca!

3. SuzyHazelwood March 29, 2014 / 5:18 am

This is very dramatic, mysterious too, I’d like to know more of that shipwreck! I love your image, absolutely perfect! :) I sense something about life too at the end of the poem, things that have drowned perhaps need some exploration?

• bgbowers March 29, 2014 / 6:12 am

Thanks, Suzy. Yes, I suppose it is rather mysterious taken out of The book’s context. It marks a turning point – she yearns for the shipwreck of her old life, but knows in her heart that she cannot go back. Exploration of self and past is the only way forward. As for the image…that is the first Creative Commons image that I’ve found & it fits the poem perfectly, so, yes, I was thrilled to find it :-)
      Thanks, Suzy, I really look forward to your comments x

• SuzyHazelwood March 29, 2014 / 6:22 am

It is difficult looking for the right image, but great when you find it. I just thought of a website I found the the other day that has a good selection of Public Domain images, you may have heard of them already, but if you haven’t here’s a link http://www.photos-public-domain.com/

• bgbowers March 29, 2014 / 6:30 am

4. laurie27wsmith March 29, 2014 / 10:59 am

Barnacled feet. Love it. A great pic too Bianca.

5. Wordifull Melanie March 29, 2014 / 4:12 pm

Beautiful imagery. I love the unexpected in this phrase “windswept hair exhales”

• bgbowers March 30, 2014 / 1:13 am

Thanks, Melanie, that line seems to be the favourite :-)

6. haelanra March 29, 2014 / 6:24 pm

What a beautiful poem! I think my favorite part was probably the exhaling hair (it’s so expressive of the way how hair can almost breathe in the way it flows in the wind sometimes, I could almost feel the wind brushing against my own hair) and the transparency of jellyfish (that was such lovely imagery). Your writing is fascinating – it would be nice if I could read your poetry book someday. :)

• bgbowers March 30, 2014 / 1:11 am

Thank you :-) It’s so refreshing to have a new set of eyes read and comment on my work. I very much appreciate your visit & hope to see you here again.
      Bianca.

Start a conversation

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s