How many times have you said to yourself – if only I knew then what I know now…?
I have definitely uttered those words. Question is, if I could time travel and give my younger self advice, what would I say?
First, let’s talk about life…
When it comes to life, always expect the unexpected.
Life will trip you up and lift you up.
Life will raise questions and offer no answers.
Life will test you, reward you, and punish you.
Life will confuse, daunt, dash, haunt, and surprise.
Life also has a partner in crime – people…
- Trust your instincts; if you feel ill-at-ease in someone’s company, but don’t know why, trust your instincts and walk away or watch your back.
- Avoid negative people; they are toxic. Instead, seek out like-minded people who will support, encourage and help you.
- There are many wonderful, compassionate people in the world just like you – don’t let the negative encounters sour those positive opportunities.
A Personal Philosophy will help you navigate life and people…
Your philosophy will take years to formulate, so start early and save yourself a lot of
unnecessary heartache, confusion, frustration and disruptions.
Easier said than done, you say?
Fortunately, you are blessed with inherent tools that, when honed, will assist you navigate these unexpected twists and turns.
1. If you listen to your inner voice and trust your instincts, you will never go wrong.
2. Dreams are your compass; if you lose sight of them you will lose your way.
You’re rolling your eyes and I know that you tend to learn the hard way, so I’m giving you a head start…
External Validation…this is one of your weaknesses, so listen up!
- Seeking external validation is a symptom of self-doubt and low self-esteem. An ocean of internal resources and wisdom ebbs inside you; when in doubt, swim inside your ocean.
- Comparing yourself to others will only disappoint. Know your strengths and simply persevere at being the best you can be.
Authenticity in a superficial world…weakness number two!
- You have a purpose. Discover your purpose, pursue your purpose, and the blossoms of a meaningful life will unfold.
- Your light may blind certain people, but this is no reason to hide it. Never try to hide your gifts and dumb yourself down in order to make those around you feel better about themselves.
- Do/choose what makes you genuinely happy – the minute you settle for something, the more you will settle for and the further away from your self you will drift.
- Be honest and true to yourself. You cannot, and should not try to, please everyone.
- Difference is your greatest strength, not your weakness.
When you whittle it down, navigating life and people is all about choices…
- Choose not to take everything so personally. When people belittle, undermine, misunderstand or judge you, know that the fault lies with them and not with you.
- Nothing is set in stone; changing your mind is your prerogative.
- Perspective is king – it’s as good or bad as you think it is. Is it really a hardship, or is there an opportunity to change your mind, choose something else, or move in another direction?
- Your strong moral compass is admirable, but anger weakens you and you need to learn to pick your battles and walk away when necessary.
Success is a choice too…
- Persistence and consistence are pre-requisites for any success. Keep going, step by step, day by day, just don’t stop.
- Fear and inaction result in inertia; you’ve got to keep moving to gain momentum and consistently take action to reach your goals.
Survival often comes down to whether or not you’re prepared…
- It’s a dangerous world and women are vulnerable. Learn to protect yourself.
- If you listen to your inner voice and trust your instincts, you will never go wrong.
- If it feels wrong, then it is wrong. Don’t be afraid to say no, walk away, ask a question…
- Learn to pick your battles and walk away when necessary. Anger is is not power, it weakens you (yes, some things are worth repeating…)
And last, but by no means least…I know you’re a serious sort, but I’m giving you permission to have fun too!
Peace out, younger self xoxo
If you could time travel and give yourself advice, what would you say?